Global Healthcare Initiatives
The UCLA Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine is committed to promoting global health through education, patient care, research, and advocacy. Residents, fellows, and faculty participate in promoting global health through:
- Providing support to organizations that are involved in global health
- Participating in direct patient care in developing and underserved areas
- Collaborating and exchanging information with health care providers who practice in different medical, economic, and political environments
- Hosting faculty and trainees from other countries here at UCLA to promote the exchange of ideas and experiences.
In this section:
Resident Rotation in Hangzhou, China
Through a partnership with the Second Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang University School of Medicine (SAHZU), UCLA anesthesiology residents have the opportunity to participate in a clinical and educational rotation at SAHZU, a tertiary medical center. Founded in 1869, SAHZU is one of the largest hospitals in Zhejiang province practicing Western Medicine. With over 3,200 inpatient beds, 60 operating rooms, and a volume of over 60,000 surgical cases per year, residents participate in a wide range of clinical experiences, including cardiac anesthesiology, neurosurgical anesthesiology, pain medicine, traditional Chinese medicine, and more. Residents attend and participate in morning conference, journal club, and case discussions as well as learn different techniques to anesthetize patients. SAHZU provides an invaluable experience for our residents, who immerse themselves in a different healthcare system with a different patient population and different resources. They return home not only with a rich and memorable cultural experience, but also with a new perspective.
Links to past rotations:
Further Reading: The Role of Anesthesiology in Global Health
Our physicians and nurse anesthetists regularly participate in medical care around the world. Our department supports charitable work as well as educational travel by our faculty and staff.
Read more about our recent trips:
The UCLA Anesthesiology Visiting International Scholars Program is one of our Global Healthcare Initiatives and aims to foster global collaborations through the horizontal sharing of understanding and experience. Visiting international scholars have the opportunity to observe in the operating room or research, attend our Grand Rounds and Resident Didactic Lectures and tour the UCLA Simulation Center. We regularly host international scholars for visits lasting up to four weeks.
How to apply
- View eligibility information and application instructions on the UCLA Center for World Health International Physician Observership Program website.
- Contact a UCLA Anesthesiology faculty member from the specialty in which you would like to observe with your request, a CV, and a statement of interest. Alternatively, you may email your request to our administrative office: email@example.com
- To check on the status of your application, contact our administrative office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (310) 267-8686.