The UCLA Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine encourages and supports resident scholarly activity. The ACGME requires residents to participate in some type of scholarly activity during their four-year residency. While all residents complete their required scholarly activity project by graduation, many residents are involved in multiple projects. These range from quality improvement projects to basic science, clinical, and translational research projects to grand rounds presentations to published case reports and book chapters, among many others.
The UCLA Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine has numerous ongoing basic science and clinical research projects. Many projects are available through the Department’s strong affiliation with the Division of Molecular Medicine, and the Department ranks in the top 5 anesthesiology programs for NIH funding. Residents are supervised by a faculty mentor who will guide project development and implementation, as well as supervise manuscript writing and publication. Multiple opportunities are available in clinical and translational research as well as in education and simulation research.
Elective research may be granted on a case-by-case basis, up to 6 months throughout the entire residency. Residents interested in research are thus encouraged to develop a project in the latter half of their CA-1 year or in the beginning of their CA-2 year so that adequate research time may be planned.
In February of each year, the UCLA Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine holds Scientific Evening, a presentation of all the ongoing research within the Department. Medical students, residents, fellows, and faculty gather to present their research to the rest of the Department. Prominent national faculty in anesthesiology are invited to judge their research, and prizes are awarded. This forum also serves as an arena for feedback prior to presentation at national conferences. UCLA research has been presented by faculty, fellows, and residents at national meetings including the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA), Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists (SCA), American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine (ASRA), the Society of Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology (SOAP), and many others.
This year at the ASA, members of the UCLA Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine will present two "Best of Abstract" presentations. Dr. Andrew Hudson, M.D., Ph.D., faculty in neuroanesthesia, will present his abstract "Isoflurane Differentially Effects Firing Correlations among Parvalbumin Interneurons versus Pyramidal Neurons in Mouse Frontal Cortex." Dr. Soban Umar, M.D., Ph.D., CA-3, will present "Y Chromosome Plays a Protective Role against Hypoxia-Induced Pulmonary Hypertension in Gonadectomized Mice." These are only two of the 34 research presentations that will be given at this year's annual ASA meeting.
The UCLA Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine welcomes an atmosphere of vibrant scientific inquiry. With multiple resources at hand, including a simulation center, on-site faculty statistician, departmental echocardiography technician, and basic science animal laboratory, any research interest can be developed and grown at UCLA.
Publications in year 2014-2015:
- Hoffman H, Lee SI, Garst JH, Lu DS, Li CH, Nagasawa DT, Ghalehsari N, Jahanforouz N, Razaghy M, Espinal M, Ghavamrezaii A, Paak BH, Wu I, Sarrafzadeh M, Lu DC. Use of multivariate linear regression and support vector regression to predict functional outcome after surgery for cervical spondylotic myelopathy. J Clin Neurosci. 2015 Jun 23. pii: S0967-5868(15)00194-0.
- Gonzalez NR, Dusick JR, Connolly M, Bounni F, Martin NA, Van de Wiele B, Liebeskind DS, Saver JL. Encephaloduroarteriosynangiosis for adult intracranial arterial steno-occlusive disease: long-term single-center experience with 107 operations. J Neurosurg. 2015 Jun 12:1-8.
- Al-Hakim R, Patel K, Moriarty JM. AngioVac Aspiration for Paradoxical Emboli Protection through a Fenestrated Fontan During Central Venous Thrombus Manipulation. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2015 Jun;38(3):752-4.
- C Myo Bui C, Worapot A, Xia W, Delgado L, Steadman RH, Busuttil RW, Xia VW. Gastroesophageal and hemorrhagic complications associated with intraoperative transesophageal echocardiography in patients with model for end-stage liver disease score 25 or highenr. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2015 Jun;29(3):594-7.
- Steadman RH, Burden AR, Huang YM, Gaba DM, Cooper JB. Practice improvements based on participation in simulation for the maintenance of certification in anesthesiology program. Anesthesiology. 2015 May;122(5):1154-69.
- Neelankavil J, Chua J, Howard-Quijano K, Mahajan A. Intracardiac echocardiography. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2015 Apr;29(2):502-5.
- Rolston DM, Meltzer JS. Telemedicine in the intensive care unit: its role in emergencies and disaster management. Crit Care Clin. 2015 Apr;31(2):239-55.
- Mittnacht AJ, Dukkipati S, Mahajan A. Ventricular tachycardia ablation: a comprehensive review for anesthesiologists. Anesth Analg. 2015 Apr;120(4):737-48.
- Steckelberg RC, Tsiang D, Pettijohn K, Mendelsohn A, Hoftman N. Acute vocal fold dystonic reaction to propofol: a case report. Am J Otolaryngol. 2015 Mar-Apr;36(2):303-5.
- Soto R, Jahr JS, Pavlin J, Sabo D, Philip BK, Egan TD, Rowe E, de Bie J, Woo T. Safety and Efficacy of Rocuronium With Sugammadex Reversal Versus Succinylcholine in Outpatient Surgery-A Multicenter, Randomized, Safety Assessor-Blinded Trial. Am J Ther. 2015 Mar 12.
- Ajijola OA, Howard-Quijano K, Scovotti J, Vaseghi M, Lee C, Mahajan A, Shivkumar K. Augmentation of cardiac sympathetic tone by percutaneous low-level stellate ganglion stimulation in humans: a feasibility study. Physiol Rep. 2015 Mar;3(3).
- Koh W, Nguyen KP, Jahr JS. Intravenous non-opioid analgesia for peri- and postoperative pain management: a scientific review of intravenous acetaminophen and ibuprofen. Korean J Anesthesiol. 2015 Feb;68(1):3-12.
- Gabel E, Gudzenko V, Cruz D, Ardehali A, Fink MP. Successful use of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in an adult patient with toxic shock-induced heart failure. J Intensive Care Med. 2015 Feb;30(2):115-8.
- Singla NK, Hale ME, Davis JC, Bekker A, Gimbel J, Jahr J, Royal MA, Ang RY, Viscusi ER. IV Acetaminophen: Efficacy of a Single Dose for Postoperative Pain After Hip Arthroplasty: Subset Data Analysis of 2 Unpublished Randomized Clinical Trials. Am J Ther. 2015 Jan-Feb;22(1):2-10.
- Neelankavil J, Rau CD, Wang Y. The Genetic Basis of Coronary Artery Disease and Atrial Fibrillation: A Search for Disease Mechanisms and Therapeutic Targets. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2015 Jan 23.
- Nagrampa D, Bazargan-Hejazi S, Neelakanta G, Mojtahedzadeh M, Law A, Miller M. A survey of anesthesiologists' role, trust in anesthesiologists, and knowledge and fears about anesthesia among predominantly Hispanic patients from an inner-city county preoperative anesthesia clinic. J Clin Anesth. 2015 Jan 17.
- Howard-Quijano K, Anderson-Dam J, McCabe M, Hall M, Mazor E, Mahajan A. Speckle-Tracking Strain Imaging Identifies Alterations in Left Atrial Mechanics With General Anesthesia and Positive-Pressure Ventilation. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2015 Jan 8.
- Hofer I, Spivack J, Yaport M, Zerillo J, Reich DL, Wax D, DeMaria S Jr. Association between anesthesiologist experience and mortality after orthotopic liver transplantation. Liver Transpl. 2015 Jan;21(1):89-95.
- Nguyen KL, Khan SN, Moriarty JM, Mohajer K, Renella P, Satou G, Ayad I, Patel S, Boechat MI, Finn JP. High-field MR imaging in pediatric congenital heart disease: Initial results. Pediatr Radiol. 2015 Jan;45(1):42-54.
- Roghani K, Holtby RJ, Jahr JS . Effects of hemoglobin-based oxygen carriers on blood coagulation. J Funct Biomater. 2014 Dec 12;5(4):288-95.
- Dhillon A, Tardini F, Bittner E, Schmidt U, Allain R, Bigatello L. Benefit of using a "bundled" consent for intensive care unit procedures as part of an early family meeting. J Crit Care. 2014 Dec;29(6):919-22.
- Patel PR, Fischer GW, Bhatt HV. Residual left atrial mass after myxoma resection. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2014 Dec;28(6):1707-8.
- Stiegler MP, Dhillon A. Decision-making errors in anesthesiology. Int Anesthesiol Clin. 2014 Winter;52(1):84-96.
- Hamburger J, Hofer IS, Khelemsky Y. A patient who received clopidogrel with an indwelling epidural catheter. J Clin Aneth. 2014 Nov;26(7):577-80.
- McLaughlin N, Winograd D, Chung HR, Van de Wiele B, Martin NA. Impact of the time-out process on safety attitude in a tertiary neurosurgical department. World Neurosurg. 2014 Nov;82(5):567-74.
- Weiner MM, Hofer I, Lin HM, Castillo JG, Adams DH, Fischer GW. Relationship among surgical volume, repair quality, and perioperative outcomes for repair of mitral insufficiency in a mitral valve reference center. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014 Nov;148(5):2021-6.
- McLaughlin N, Burke MA, Setlur NP, Niedzwiecki DR, Kaplan AL, Saigal C, Mahajan A, Martin NA, Kaplan RS. Time-driven activity-based costing: a driver for provider engagement in costing activities and redesign initiatives. Neurosurg Focus. 2014 Nov;37(5):E3.
- Han F, Rapacchi S, Khan S, Ayad I, Salusky I, Gabriel S, Plotnik A, Paul Finn J, Hu P. Four-dimensional, multiphase, steady-state imaging with contrast enhancement (MUSIC) in the heart: A feasibility study in children. Magn Reson Med. 2014 Oct 9.
- Jahr JS, Miller JE, Hiruma J, Emaus K, You M, Meistelman C. Sugammadex: A Scientific Review Including Safety and Efficacy, Update on Regulatory Issues, and Clinical Use in Europe. Am J Ther. 2014 Oct 8
- Partownavid P, Romito BT, Ching W, Berry AA, Barkulis CT, Nguyen KP, Jahr JS. Sugammadex: A Comprehensive Review of the Published Human Science, Including Renal Studies. Am J Ther. 2014 Oct 8.
- Mackenzie CF, Pitman AN, Hodgson RE, Sussman MJ, Levien LJ, Jahr JS, Greenburg AG. Are Hemoglobin-Based Oxygen Carriers Being Withheld Because of Regulatory Requirement for Equivalence to Packed Red Blood Cells? Am J Ther. 2014 Oct 3.
- Ford JS, Kawashima T, Whitton J, Leisenring W, Laverdière C, Stovall M, Zeltzer L, Robison LL, Sklar CA Psychosexual functioning among adult female survivors of childhood cancer: a report from the childhood cancer survivor study. J Clin Oncol. 2014 Oct 1;32(28):3126-36.
- Kamdar N, Hofer I. Safe and scalable device design: a call for open standards. Anesthesiology. 2014 Oct;121(4):906.
- Weinger MB, Burden AR, Steadman RH, Gaba DM. This is not a test!: Misconceptions surrounding the maintenance of certification in anesthesiology simulation course. Anesthesiology. 2014 Sep;121(3):655-9.
- Getachew R, Lee SI, Kimball JA, Yew AY, Lu DS, Li CH, Garst JH, Ghalehsari N, Paak BH, Razaghy M, Espinal M, Ostowari A, Ghavamrezaii AA, Pourtaheri S, Wu I, Sarrafzadeh M, Lu DC. Utilization of a novel digital measurement tool for quantitative assessment of upper extremity motor dexterity: a controlled pilot study. J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2014 Aug 13;11:121.
- Kamdar NV, de Gialluly PS. Academic anesthesia: innovate to avoid extinction. Anesthesiology. 2014 Aug;121(2):427-8.
- Methangkool E, Mahajan A, Gao G, Chua JH. CASE 8--2014 Anesthetic management of bilateral lung transplantation from donor lungs managed by the organ care system. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2014 Aug;28(4):1145-8.
- Evans S, Lung KC, Seidman LC, Sternlieb B, Zeltzer LK, Tsao JC. Iyengar yoga for adolescents and young adults with irritable bowel syndrome. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2014 Aug;59(2):244-53.
- Howard-Quijano K, Schwarzenberger JC. Acute care medicine: perioperative management of adult congenital heart disease. Am J Ther. 2014 Jul-Aug;21(4):288-95.
- Jacob E, Chan VW, Hodge C, Zeltzer L, Zurakowski D, Sethna NF. Sensory and Thermal Quantitative Testing in Children With Sickle Cell Disease. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2014 Jul 10.
- Methangkool E, Howard-Quijano K, Ho JK, Mahajan A. Infective endocarditis: the importance of intraoperative transesophageal echocardiography. Anesth Analg. 2014 Jul;119(1):35-40.
- Pan X, Apinyachon W, Xia W, Hong JC, Busuttil RW, Steadman RH, Xia VW. Perioperative complications in liver transplantation using donation after cardiac death grafts: a propensity-matched study. Liver Transpl. 2014 Jul;20(7):823-30.