My current work is concentrated on STimulation Emission Depletion (STED) Microscopy, a Super-Resolution optical microscopic technology that breaks the diffraction limit. Resolution of conventional optical microscopes is restricted to 200~300nm. In our lab we have constructed from scracth a fast scanning, fast acquisition STED microscope, currently reaching a resolution of about 30~40nm without image processing.
I also work on image processing and microscopic image analysis. Colocalization analysis is to identify and assess the interaction between two kinds of proteins by analyzing a set of dual channel (color) fluorescence microscopic images, in which each channel is used to lable one kind of protein. I have invented a quantitative colocalization analysis method that can significantly reduce the pseudo-colocalization caused by image inhomogeneity and intracellular structures.
- Ph.D. in Physics, 2006. University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts
- M.Eng. in Engineering Physics, 2000. Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- B.Eng. in Engineering Physics, 1998. Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- Postdoctoral Scholar, Department of Anesthesiology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA. 2007-present
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Department of Physics, Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University , Blacksburg, VA. 2006–2007
- Selected Publications
- H. Singh, R. Lu, P. F. Gardeazabal Rodriguez, Y. Wu, J. C. Bopassa, E. Stefani, and L. Toro, “Visualization and quantification of cardiac mitochondrial protein clusters with STED microscopy”, Mitochondrion, 12, 230 (2012).
- V. Zinchuk, Y. Wu, O. Grossenbacher-Zinchuk, and E. Stefani, “Quantifying spatial correlations of fluorescent markers using enhanced background reduction with protein proximity index and correlation coefficient estimations: new tools for established approach”, Nature Protocols, 6, 1554 (2011)
- A. Alioua, M. Li, Y. Wu, E. Stefani, and L. Toro, “Unconventional myristoylation of large-conductance Ca(2+)-activated K(+) channel (Slo1) via serine/threonine residues regulates channel surface expression”, PNAS, 108, 10744 (2011)
- Y. Wu, M. Eghbali, J. Ou, R. Lu, L. Toro, and E. Stefani, “Quantitative Determination of Spatial Protein-Protein Correlations in Fluorescence Confocal Microscopy”, Biophys. J., 98, 493 (2010)
- Y. Wu, Schmittmann B., and R. K. P. Zia, “Two-dimensional polymer networks near percolation”, J. Phys. A: Math. Theor., 41, 025004 (2008)
- Y. Wu and J. Machta, “Numerical study of the three-dimensional random-field Ising model at zero and positive temperature”, Phys. Rev. B, 74, 064418 (2006).
- Y. Wu, M. Korner, L. Colonna-Romano, S. Trebst, H. Gould, J. Machta and M. Troyer, “Overcoming the slowing down of flat-histogram Monte Carlo simulations: Cluster updates and optimized broad-histogram ensembles”, Phys. Rev. E, 72, 046704 (2005)
- Y. Wu and J. Machta, “Ground states and thermal states of the random field Ising model”, Phys. Rev. Lett., 95, 137208 (2005)
- Recent Presentations
- P. F. Gardeazabal Rodriguez, Y. Wu, H. Zhao, H. Singh, R. Lu, M. Li, Z. Zhang, S. Lee, L. Toro, and E. Stefani, “A custom-built fast scanning STED microscope with a large field of view”, 56th American Biophysical Society Annual Meeting. San Diego, CA (2012)
- Y. Wu, P. F. Gardeazabal Rodriguez, H. Zhao, and E. Stefani, “Fast scanning stimulation emission depletion microscopy with large field of view”, 17th International Biophysics Congress. Beijing, China (2011)
- Y. Wu, V. Zinchuk , O. Grossenbacher-Zinchuk, and E. Stefani, “Critical evaluation of quantitative colocalization analysis in confocal fluorescence microscopy”, 17th International Biophysics Congress. Beijing, China (2011)
- Y. Wu, H. Singh, R. Lu, J. Bopassa, L. Toro and E. Stefani, “Quantification of Fluorescence Signals in Purified Mitochondria”, 55th American Biophysical Society Annual Meeting. Baltimore, MD (2011)
- H. Singh, P. F. Gardeazabal Rodriguez, Y. Wu, R. Lu, J. Bopassa, L. Toro and E. Stefani, “Super-resolution Optical Microscopy of Isolated Cardiac Mitochondrial Proteins”, 55th American Biophysical Society Annual Meeting. Baltimore, MD (2011)
- Z. Zhang, Y. Wu, P. R. Gardeazabal Rodriguez, H. Zhao, L. Toro and E. Stefani, “Fast Line Scan Confocal Microscope with Minimal Photobleaching,” 54th American Biophysical Society Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA (2010)
- S. Despa, Y. Wu, J. Lingrel, E. Stefani and D. Bers, “Na/K-ATPase α2-subunit preferentially modulates Ca transients and SR Ca release in cardiac myocytes,” 54th American Biophysical Society Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA (2010)
- Research Support
- American Heart Association Postdoctoral Fellowship 10POST4230081. 2010-2012